SMARK offers a discover rowing course and a learn-to-row course for beginners. If you’ve done some rowing before, please let us know about it as we might be able to invite you down to a regular club session and get you started sooner.
Discover Rowing Course
Rowing is a sport for all. It’s a great way to challenge yourself, improve your fitness, and make friends. At SMARK we have Olympic style rowing, church boat rowing, and rowing in wooden boats (puuvenesoutu). If you want to discover rowing and see if it is a sport for you, we offer a one-day course (3 h) at SMARK.
The course is open to everyone aged 15 or above, and no previous experience is needed (or expected). Ability to swim is required. The course will be taught mainly in English and is held in small groups.
Price: 50 e per person
- Erg session (indoor rowing machines)
- Rowing session on the water (in a group of 4)
- A tour at our boathouse, and discovering different types of rowing we offer at SMARK
- Learning the basics about safety on the water
What to bring:
- Sports clothes according to the weather. For example, running tights or shorts, and a tight t-shirt, several tight warm layers.
- A water bottle and sunscreen especially on a warm day
- A towel and an extra set of clothes. Chance of falling off into the water is nonexistent, but you might get wet if it is raining or if you get splashed with water while rowing.
Signing up and payment:
Sign-up by sending an e-mail to toimisto(at)smark.fi. You will receive a verification e-mail and a bill. Pay before the course and bring a verification of the payment.
If you cannot come to the Discover Rowing Course, but wish to start rowing, please contact toimisto(at)smark.fi.
After the Discover Rowing Course, you can continue with a 3 week (2 sessions/week: Tuesday and Thursday) Learn-to-Row course. Whether you want to compete, or just have fun out on the water, we will teach you all the basic rowing techniques you need to start practicing rowing. This course includes familiarization with handling boats and rowing terminology (for those who have not rowed before) and plenty of water-based sessions in boats. The course should lead to you being reasonably confident and capable to scull in a quad (i.e., row with two oars in a boat for four) by the end of the course.
Price: 60 e.
After the Learn-to-Row course, if you decide to become a member, we offer different training groups for different types of athletes.
Next Discover Rowing Courses
Sunday 19.7.2020, Sunday 26.7.2020 (morning 10am-1pm and evening 5-8pm sessions), Sunday 2.8.2020
Course at 17:00-20:00